Wednesday 12 November 2008

Mud

I’m not a big fan of ‘forums’ (yes, I know the correct plural is fora, but it's a very odd word to spring upon people without warning). They always seem to bring out the worst in people (unlike my posts on this site of course...). But despite my general antipathy towards them, I do occasionally look at the Surfbirds one if I see something interesting in the list of messages that appears on the photo gallery pages.

So, having read Mark Reeder’s admirable post on the poor behaviour of some birders at the Steppe Grey Shrike twitch, I thought this thread might be worth a look. It was. In particular I’d like to draw your attention to post #4, from none other than our dear old ‘President’.

Listen to the wise words of El Presidente. If he says that ‘mud-slinging’ is abhorrent, then it must be true, and we must never, never indulge in it. Because once it starts, there is ‘no stopping to it’! We must also follow the Presidential decree to ‘uphold the law that the bird's welfare must come first in all cases.’ And we must all be thankful that our universally respected and democratically elected leader will always play his part when it comes to self-policing at twitches.

Fortunately there’s a good reply further on in the thread to this ludicrous (but totally in character) attempt at claiming the twitching moral high ground. The story of L.A.R.G.Ego emerging from a reedbed with a big stick in his hand reminded me of an incident on St Agnes many years ago, when we witnessed three very eminent birders (at least one of whom was on the BBRC at the time) thrashing about in the reeds surrounding the Big Pool trying to flush an Aquatic Warbler, which could be seen perfectly well from the edge. They did at least have the grace to look sheepish when the error of their ways was gently pointed out to them. Actually I think it was more along the lines of “get out of those fucking reeds NOW!”

I could name and shame them, but I shan’t as that would be mud-slinging, and I’d never do that.

8 comments:

The Leicester Llama said...

It gets better - in the time it took me to write that post, he's replied to the accusation of poor behaviour, and as usual digs himself ever deeper. "Not once have I ever claimed to be a law-abider at a twitch" Um...

Matt Merritt said...

Yes, how does he figure that 'organised flushing' is somehow OK. The clue's in the words - it's still flushing.

beast said...

Forums are great fun ain't they?! It always amazes me how 'personal' they get....people gettin out their prams...handbag tossing....sniping...lynch mobs...daily mail readers...anal spellcheckers...guys who obviously suffer from 'irritable vowel syndrome'!! Some are just plain devilish i reckon...that or they is mad as a 'box o frogs' [i think the latter]! Personally, on all this twitchin behaviour bollox, if youz don't like it..then don't do it! It's always gonna get 'out of order' at some point...human nature innit? As for 'Lee'...he does wot he does n good luck to him...whenever i seen him he's always been ok to me. Birding scene wud be a lot duller without these characters about...wotever you're opinions are of them! All birders are fuckin nuts in one way or another ain't they?....gawwdd bless em!
Ok...goona go on another birdin site now....hhmmm....red tube....that looks interesting...[actually...red tubes kinda boring...think me go out n look for some real birds]...
Good post Andy....!

The Drunkbirder said...

Viva el Presidente... oh hang on no not until he pays me back for that fucking book!

Skev said...

Nice picture of Robert MugabLee there Andy. Seems to be missing a big stick though, sorry - reed.

I agree with Beast though - good luck to him. You need a bit of luck when you are such a big fucking hypocritical knob.

The Leicester Llama said...

Close, Mark, but it's actually the related sibling species IdLee Amin!

Marcus Lawson said...

I do enjoy your posts on Turdforum Beast, always amusing.

beast said...

Marcus......think i go a tad 'toooo far' sometimes though!...[some 'geddit'...some don't...depends how 'barkin' they are....i mean no harm!

Woof woof....all de best..de Beast..