Friday 3 October 2008

Cold. No birds.

Arrived at Sumburgh after a predictably tedious day mostly spent hanging around various airports. Fuck me - it's cold here! I can't remember it ever being as cold as this in Shetland in October. The wind is currently strong north-westerly, which accounts for the coldness, and also for the general lack of birds (apparently there's not a lot about). Not that I've done any birding yet other than standing outside Rob's house for half an hour or so.

Rob's prediction for the next few days - "we've got a good chance of finding an Arctic Redpoll or a Walrus."

The forecast is more promising for the next few days, although it looks like it's going to stay windy for a bit longer yet.

Andy Lawson has kindly brought a bottle of whisky with my name on it (literally), so that's this evening sorted. I may or may not get out tomorrow...

2 comments:

Mark said...

Not too warm here either mate. Making the most of my home comforts for one more night.
Ready for a very enjoyable eleven days I'm sure.

The Drunkbirder said...

Rob's house stinks of booze and cat shit. Mr Whyte and Mackay were apparently joined by Jack Daniels.